Welcome to the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative
Priorities for Advancing Recovery and Revitalization for Great Lakes Cities – 2021 U.S. Federal Priorities for the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative
March 2021 – On behalf of its nearly 100 member mayors, the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative calls on Congress and the Biden Administration to provide economic relief for struggling cities and support critical water resources. Read more.
House Oversight and Reform Committee Passes Legislation for Federal Revenue Replacement Funds for our Cities
February 2021 – As many of you know, The Cities Initiative has been actively advocating for federal revenue replacement funds for our cities. The impact of the COVID-19 crisis has been devastating to our communities and the financial stability of many local governments hangs in the balance.
The House Oversight and Reform Committee has passed legislation for federal revenue replacement funds for our cities. The next step is for the legislation to be passed by the full House of Representatives, which is expected next week. With House passage anticipated, the focus now turns to the Senate, where unanimous support from Democrats will be needed for final passage. Read more.
2020 Initiatives – U.S. and Canada
It has been a busy and productive year for the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative. The Cities Initiative has been fully engaged in a number of initiatives to benefit our member Cities. Please view our 2020 Report Card to see all of the important programs we are working on.
2021 Annual General Meeting – SAVE THE DATE
We are happy to announce that the 2021 Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held in beautiful St. Catharines, Ontario from Wednesday, August 25 through Friday, August 27.
Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative supports Biden COVID relief package and urges quick approval by Congress
CHICAGO, January 19, 2021 – The Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative supports the incoming Biden Administration’s COVID relief package, titled the American Rescue Plan, and applauds the financial assistance it will provide to struggling towns, villages, and cities. View Press Release
Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative applauds agreement to advance Brandon Road project to stop Asian carp
CHICAGO, January 8, 2021 – The Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative applauds the agreement between the State of Illinois and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to advance the Brandon Road project to stop Asian carp. View Press Release.
Joint letter from Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative and Mississippi River Cities and Towns Initiative Mayors calling for urgently needed financial relief for cities and towns
December 15, 2020 – We are writing on behalf of nearly 150 mayors from across America’s heartland to implore you to pass a new COVID-19 package that includes urgently needed financial relief for cities and towns that have borne the brunt of the impact from the pandemic. With infections, hospitalizations, and deaths at unprecedented levels, and economic recovery stalling, our citizens are looking for immediate action from Washington. View letter.
Joint letter from Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative and Mississippi River Cities and Towns Initiative Mayors calling for compromise on a COVID-19 package with financial relief for cities and towns
September 21, 2020 – We are writing on behalf of nearly 150 mayors from across America’s heartland to implore you to reach a compromise on a new COVID-19 package that provides urgently needed financial relief to cities and towns that have borne the brunt of the impact from the pandemic. Our citizens are looking for action from Washington and we urge you to come through in this time of need. View letter.
URGENT – State Deadlines and Contacts for Applications Under FEMA’s Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities Program
View the pre-application/letter of intent deadlines for each state under the BRIC program.
Stimulus Water Restoration Initiative – A campaign to bring stimulus funding to your municipality
Don't forget Great Lakes in the stimulus package, group tells Congress
Tom Henry, The Blade
September 7, 2020
The Chicago-based Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative is making a special plea to Congress for communities within the Great Lakes watershed to get more help delivering clean, healthy water as the coronavirus pandemic continues. Read more.
Eager to head back to the lakefront?
Patrick M. O'Connell, Chicago Tribune
June 19, 2020
Lake nearing record high: “The lake is nearly 3 feet higher than usual and approaching the historical high, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.” Read more.
We welcome our new Chair of the Board of Directors, Mayor Michael Vandersteen, Sheboygan, Wisconsin. We look forward to protecting the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River under his guidance.
Mayor Michael Vandersteen
Chair, Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative
- February 25, 2021 - Regional organizations support shared priorities for the Great Lakes
- December 15, 2020 - 150 mayors from across America’s heartland urge funding to support COVID-19 response
- December 4, 2020 - Waukegan mayor takes leading role on panel looking at quality, cost of Great Lakes Water
- November 16, 2020 – Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative Convenes Mayors Water Equity Commission
- September 23, 2020 - 150 U.S. Mayors Urge Congressional Leaders to Find Compromise on Stimulus Spending to Help Struggling Cities and Towns
- September 23, 2020 - Great Lakes Organizations Urge Congress to Include Great Lakes Priorities in WRDA Reauthorization
- September 2, 2020 - Detroit, Zion and Saint-Anicet join the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Initiative
- August 16, 2020 - Spotlight on the News: Sheboygan, WI Mayor and Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative, Chair Michael Vandersteen
- August 6, 2020 – 200 U.S. Mayors Call for Emergency Fiscal Assistance for Municipal Governments in U.S. Senate CARES Stimulus Plan
- July 7, 2020: Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative calls for additional stimulus efforts to include water restoration priorities
- June 9, 2020 - Sheboygan, Wisconsin Mayor Mike Vandersteen elected chair of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative
- February 14, 2020 – Pre-Budget Consultations with the Government of Canada
- February 11, 2020 – Reaction to Presidential Budget