Welcome to the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative
Joint letter from Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative and Mississippi River Cities and Towns Initiative Mayors calling for compromise on a COVID-19 package with financial relief for cities and towns.
We are writing on behalf of nearly 150 mayors from across America’s heartland to implore you to reach a compromise on a new COVID-19 package that provides urgently needed financial relief to cities and towns that have borne the brunt of the impact from the pandemic. Our citizens are looking for action from Washington and we urge you to come through in this time of need. View letter.
URGENT – State Deadlines and Contacts for Applications Under FEMA’s Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities Program
View the pre-application/letter of intent deadlines for each state under the BRIC program.
Stimulus Water Restoration Initiative – A campaign to bring stimulus funding to your municipality
Don't forget Great Lakes in the stimulus package, group tells Congress
Tom Henry, The Blade
September 7, 2020
The Chicago-based Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative is making a special plea to Congress for communities within the Great Lakes watershed to get more help delivering clean, healthy water as the coronavirus pandemic continues. Read more…
Eager to head back to the lakefront?
Patrick M. O'Connell, Chicago Tribune
June 19, 2020
Lake nearing record high: “The lake is nearly 3 feet higher than usual and approaching the historical high, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.” Read more…
June 26, 2019
The Phosphorus Reduction Collaborative, where scientific research, sustainable agriculture and land management meet.
We welcome our new Chair of the Board of Directors, Mayor Michael Vandersteen, Sheboygan, Wisconsin. We look forward to protecting the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River under his guidance.
Mayor Michael Vandersteen
Chair, Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative
- September 23, 2020 - 150 U.S. Mayors Urge Congressional Leaders to Find Compromise on Stimulus Spending to Help Struggling Cities and Towns
- September 23, 2020 - Great Lakes Organizations Urge Congress to Include Great Lakes Priorities in WRDA Reauthorization
- September 2, 2020 - Detroit, Zion and Saint-Anicet join the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Initiative
- August 16, 2020 - Spotlight on the News: Sheboygan, WI Mayor and Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative, Chair Michael Vandersteen
- August 6, 2020 – 200 U.S. Mayors Call for Emergency Fiscal Assistance for Municipal Governments in U.S. Senate CARES Stimulus Plan
- July 7, 2020: Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative calls for additional stimulus efforts to include water restoration priorities
- June 9, 2020 - Sheboygan, Wisconsin Mayor Mike Vandersteen elected chair of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative
- February 14, 2020 – Pre-Budget Consultations with the Government of Canada
- February 11, 2020 – Reaction to Presidential Budget