The Cities Initiative is conducting a search to hire for the following position in Toronto:
Deputy Executive Officer
Reporting to the President & CEO of Great Lakes & St. Lawrence Cities Initiative (GLSLCI), the Deputy Executive Officer (DEO) is the face of the Cities Initiative in Canada and is responsible for leading and implementing the operations. He/she will leverage the relationships of the Cities Initiative Board and membership, to lead, influence and advocate government for the protection and restoration of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River. The position is based in Toronto.
The DEO is a strong relationship builder and hands-on leader, who brings experience working at the municipal levels of government. He or she will cultivate relationships with political figures to help further the mission of the Cities Initiative in Canada and support the mission in the US. As a hands-on leader, who gets things done, the DEO achieves results in a small organization, while implementing a vision to grow the profile. He or she will be backed by a knowledgeable President & CEO, a committed Board, and the expertise of the Chicago based office.
Skills and Experience:
- Strong networking and relationship building skills coupled with solid executive presence – highly personable
- Exceptionally strong communication skills: ability to communicate complex issues into everyday language coupled with excellent written communication skills and effective public speaking skills
- Brings strong political acumen and a good understanding of how government works: local, provincial, indigenous, and federal
- Conversational French
- A strong project manager
- Effective advocate
- Experience in the fresh water sector and/or environmental cause
- Values the varied “cultures” across Ontario (rural to urban) and Quebec
- Will require someone with experience in formulating policy
- Experience or exposure to membership development
- Comfortable working independently with a home office
- Able to travel to visit areas of Ontario and Quebec with occasional travel to Chicago
- Strategic planning experience
- Leadership role in a non-government organization (NGO)
- Indigenous peoples cultural awareness
This search is being conducted on behalf of Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position please feel free to forward this document – we’d be pleased to connect with them.
To submit your application, please visit: http://jobs.crawfordconnect.com/jobposting.asp?WebJobPostingsID=6. Select the ‘Apply for this Position’ tab to upload your cover letter and resume by July 17, 2017.
For additional information please reach out to Michelle Lalonde at email@example.com.
We request all cover letters and resumes be submitted online only. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.