Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Municipalities Act on Climate Change
Over the past few months, Cities Initiative staff have inventoried action on climate change by member municipalities in the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Region.
Of our 119 members:
- 73 are taking action on climate change in some way
- 31 have implemented greenhouse gas reduction targets
- 17 have joined the Compact of Mayors, an international effort for local greenhouse gas reductions.
When combined, the 31 cities with greenhouse gas reduction targets have reduced carbon dioxide emissions by over 27 million tons of CO2.
- 1-page summary of greenhouse gas reduction targets in member municipalities
- Full inventory of greenhouse gas reduction targets in member municipalities (11 pages)
Fast Facts on Climate Change
If your municipality is considering creating a climate change adaptation or mitigation plan, visit the Best Practices Library and select “Climate Adaptation Plans” to view plans from other municipalities.