Climate Change Mitigation
Cities are at the forefront of global climate action. Mayors and citizens are often the first to experience the effects of climate change, and cities are uniquely positioned to take action by reducing greenhouse gas emissions at the local level.
The Cities Initiative is partnering with the Compact of Mayors, an organization working to standardize greenhouse gas monitoring and reduction efforts at the municipal level around the world, to assist Great Lakes and St. Lawrence communities in mitigating climate change and reducing greenhouse gases at the local level.
As of December 2015, 19 member municipalities have community-wide greenhouse gas reduction targets; 31 members have some greenhouse gas reduction targets; and 73 members have taken some action to mitigate climate change.
The Cities Initiative membership is also committed to collectively reducing 30 million tonnes of equivalent CO2 by 2020, the equivalent of taking 6 million cars off the road for a year.
If your municipality is interested in joining the Compact of Mayors or would like more information, please contact David Ullrich at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports: Mitigating Climate Change in Great Lakes – St. Lawrence Cities
Member Cities Committed to the Compact of Mayors
Updated April 2016
- Ontario: Toronto, Hamilton, Windsor, Thunder Bay, Chatham-Kent, Durham Region, St. Catharines
- Quebec: Montreal, Sorel-Tracy, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield
- Wisconsin: Ashland, Milwaukee, Racine
- Illinois: Evanston, Chicago
- Michigan: Grand Rapids, South Haven, Muskegon
- New York: Rochester, Niagara Falls
Visit to COP21 in Paris, December 2015
- Cities Initiative attends COP21 and Climate Summit for Local Leaders
- Paris City Hall Declaration: Signed by 446 mayors
- Niagara Gazette: Dyster joins appeal on climate commitment
- Buffalo News: Niagara Falls mayor addresses climate change
- Blackburn News, Chatham-Kent: Great Lakes Unite for Climate Change
- Press Release: Mayors Call on World Leaders to Reach Ambitious Climate Agreement in Paris (December 11, 2015)
- Media Backgrounder (December 11, 2015)